Saturday, December 31, 2016

Bramble Berry Haul + Review

This Christmas my lovely sister got me 7 items from Bramble Berry as gifts, 3 fragrance oils and 4 colorants. In this post I will go through the items I got and I will update this post through January as I test all of them ☺️ ⭐️

-The Fragrances- 
Before I go through descriptions of these fragrances, I would like to say that my past experience with BB FOs is pretty poor. In my opinion, most fragrances from Bramble Berry smell strange, they are always either too strong or too weak, they fade too much in cold process soap, or are just not good fragrances. I find that I usually have to blend several BB FOs together to get a result I actually like. For some people I can see how the experience of blending fragrances could be appealing, but I prefer to bypass the complications of blending fragrances. I think the major issue I find with BB FOs is they usually smell very strong of a particular note of the fragrance: for example, most 'bakery' or 'fruity fragrances smell wayyy too sweet for my liking. And many 'green' fragrances have a really strong plant smell- for some reason, I have accumulated many of such FOs in my studio, and the main offenders I am thinking of right now are "Green Smoothie" "Lettuce" and "Grass Stain" FOs. If you do not like soaps that smell like salad or grass clippings, I would avoid any of those. On the other hand, the Bramble Berry's floral fragrances I have tested have performed very well and smell ok, but smell like perfume as opposed to natural flowers. This is a matter of preference, but the floral FOs I have tried from Bramble Berry in their Spring Sampler tend to smell heavy and powdery like an older women's perfume. One thing I do love about BB FOs is they behave very well with almost no discoloration and they are good for CP as well as MP soap.

-Espresso- 
goo.gl/NPoGqg

This is a very strong fragrance, like fake coffee or coffee with artificial creamer in it. My sister described it as "sweet and nutty", and it is very sweet, which is typical of food type BB FOs (see above). This fragrances is also very warm and has notes of cinnamon and some type of candy. I would probably add some ground coffee to a soap fragrances with Espresso just to make the scent smell more like real coffee and less like sugary candy.

-Fresh Bamboo- 
goo.gl/3BQWcP
This FO smells like your typical laundry detergent, liquid hand soap or aerosol spray. A cleaning product with this fragrance would be sold under the name "Fresh Scent" or "Fresh Cotton" or something along those lines. This fragrance is not earthy or natural, but there are notes of citrus, lily, jasmine and rose. As far as 'bamboo' fragrances go, I prefer Elements Bath and Body's Bamboo Sugarcane FO. 

-Pumpkin Spice- 
goo.gl/VYO7BX
This FO was my personal favorite out of the three. I've never experienced a Pumpkin Spice whatever, but I imagine that a PSL would taste as good as BB's Pumpkin Spice FO smells. There are strong hints of pumpkin and pastry dough, and although this fragrance smells sweet, its not overpoweringly sugary. I think this is my favorite out of the three because it really smells like pumpkin and spices. This FO smells most like I would imagine it to based off of its name.



I will continue to update this post with photos and text as I experiment with each new product.



 None of the pictures on this blog are mine unless otherwise credited.